[TriLUG] Inexpensive SCSI RAID controller?

Scott Stancil sstancil at geekrooms.com
Mon Dec 2 22:23:15 EST 2002

I remember this posting by Alan Cox back in March.  I am sure you can find
many similar postings comparing hardware v. software, scsi v. ide, etc.,
via Google.

http://www.uwsg.iu.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0203.1/1036.html

The point of dropping that little tidbit is that software RAID under Linux
seems extremely mature and will probably do for you especially if you are
are using SCSI.

When I spec'd out a system with Penguin Computing recently they had
suprisingly discovered that software RAID5 was actually faster in some
applications, database and servlet serving in my case, than hardware RAID
by 1.5 to 2 times faster.  The trade off seemed to be speed and cost
versus rebuilding the array convenience.

Good luck with your solution!

Scott Stancil
sstancil at geekrooms.com