[TriLUG] Speed Question with RHL 8.0 and KDE3

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Wed Dec 4 08:04:11 EST 2002

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 08:27:37AM -0500, Roy Vestal spoke thusly:
>    I have a 233MHz box with 2GB HDD and 96MB of RAM Running RHL 8.0 with
>    KDE 3.  Does any one have any suggestions on a way to increase speed
>    on
>    the box besides the usual "Get rid of KDE" , "Add RAM", "Get a new
>    box",
>    "use this other distro...." montra?

- Decrease the number of running daemons to the bare minimum
  (i.e. chkconfig httpd off, chkconfig foo off, etc, etc)
- grab a minimalist theme for KDE that uses fewer pixmaps & etc to
  reduce memory usage

Otherwise, the usual mantra applies : More RAM, less KDE/GNOME (they are pretty
memory intensive). The box shoudl run, but I doubt it'll run too much better
with KDE unless it gets 128M+ of RAM..

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --