[TriLUG] TriLUG member web sites fixed

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Sun Dec 8 12:57:30 EST 2002

Good afternoon folks,

The member web sites should be fixed now.
I apologize for the delay in getting this fixed -- many of us have been
without power for several days now, and have not had time to check email
etc.

Here's the details if you're interested:

Yes, the problems did result from moving the www.trilug.org host to a new
server.  We had forgotten two things:  1)  on Red Hat 7.x, Apache runs as
"apache" instead of "nobody" -- and on the new server, "apache" couldn't
get into most people's home directories.  I fixed this by making sure
apache was a member of the group "trilug."  2)  since some people
don't yet have accounts on the new server, mod_userdir was trying to do a
password file lookup to find the homedirectory, which was failing.  I
fixed this by changing UserDir to /home/trilug/*/public_html , which skips
the password-file lookup.

Please let sys at trilug.org know if you have any further problems.

--Jeremy