[TriLUG] Can't reach default gateway

Ryan Leathers Ryan.Leathers at globalknowledge.com
Mon Dec 9 11:20:15 EST 2002

I am baffled.

During some recent down time in my network I made some changes to
hardware and topology.
Several hosts in the network run Redhat 6.2 and have static addresses
from 172.16.130.0/24.
The default gateway for these hosts is 172.16.130.1

I am able to reach Windows PC's and Redhat 8 Servers in the 172.16.130.0
network but I can't reach the Redhat 6.2 hosts.
In fact, the Redhat 6.2 hosts can't ping the default gateway though they
can reach other hosts in the same network.

I replaced one of the Redhat 6.2 hosts with a Redhat 8 box using the
same cabling and addressing - this was successful.

Is there some configuration on the Redhat 6.2 hosts that could be doing
this?  The configs have not changed on these hosts, but the router
interface they use as their default gateway has changed.  Still, I don't
understand why every other type of host is working if the problem is at
the router (there are no ACL's on the router)

Can anyone suggest a plausible explanation for this behavior ?  I am in
a crunch and can't afford to upgrade everything to Redhat 8 right now.

Thanks,
Ryan