[TriLUG] Purchasing a Linux cluster

Joe Meador linux at alien.biochem.wfubmc.edu
Tue Dec 10 14:33:56 EST 2002

Thanks for everyone's responses requarding clusters.  So far I have had
the best luck with Penguin Computing.  The people there have been very
prompt when returning my phone calls and also sending me quotes.  They
have also been very knowledgeable.  I am still awaiting replies from Dell
and IBM.  Some sort of receptionist took my information when I called last
Wednesday and I have still not heard from them.  I'm disappointed but if
they ever call I will still listen to their offers.

Joe Meador

ps the quote from Penguin Computing was a 16 node cluster with 2 Athlon MP
2000+ /512 RAM in each slave, Gigabit network switch and card for each
node, master node with ~219 Gigabyte disk array storage (not including
redundant disk and disk for OS), and a nice cabinet and tape backup
system for less than $50,000.