[TriLUG] RedHat 8.0 / IPTables / GRE packets?

prhodes at vdsinc.com prhodes at vdsinc.com
Tue Dec 10 16:42:11 EST 2002

> I was under the impression that IPTables didn't handle GRE yet, but this
> link would tend to indicate that it has limited abilities.

http://lists.netfilter.org/pipermail/netfilter-devel/2002-March/006956.html

Yes, I saw that. Interestingly enough, this guy talks about how he
gets no matches on GRE packets, if his GRE rules are after rules dealing
with ESTABLISHED connections.  I, on the other hand, get not matches on GRE
packets either way.  I even moved my rules around after reading that post,
just to make sure the GRE stuff came first. No dice.

I'm not sure if the problem I'm having is indicative of a fundamental
problem
with netfilter or if I just have something configured incorrectly.  Any
more thoughts or suggestions are definitely appreciated, however.

I guess I could try upgrading to the latest version of netfilter for
starters.... what could it hurt? :-)

TTYL,

Phillip Rhodes
Application Designer
Voice Data Solutions
919-571-4300 x225
prhodes at vdsinc.com

Those who are willing to sacrifice essential liberties for a little order,
will lose both and deserve neither. - Benjamin Franklin

This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it.
Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can
exercise their constitutional right of amending it, or exercise their
revolutionary right to overthrow it.  - Abraham Lincoln

No citizen shall be denied the right to bear arms, if as a last resort, to
protect themselves from tyranny in Government. - Thomas Jefferson