[TriLUG] securing pop3 transactions

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Tue Dec 10 16:57:12 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 12:38, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
> 'k, the time has come when i have a couple of cylces available
> to work on this..
>
> i have a number of people using one of my systems for pop mail.
> i would like to configure the pop3 service to use tls (or
> whatever other mechanism works) to encrypt the exchange and
> conceal the credentials.

Hi Ken,

A number of MUAs (eg. Evolution and Mozilla/Netscape) will do POP over
SSL nicely.  Unfortunately, I'm not experienced in setting up the server
end of that so perhaps someone else can help you.

My virtual hosting company doesn't do POP-over-SSL (yet!) so I'm using
the trick described in:

  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/mini/Secure-POP+SSH.html

which is a bit of a kludge but at least it *is* encrypted.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
Post-Doctoral Researcher   |  Email:  ed at eh3.com,  ehill at mines.edu
Division of ESE            |  URLs:   http://www.eh3.com
Colorado School of Mines   |    http://cesep.mines.edu/people/hill.htm
Golden, CO  80401          |  Phones:  303-384-2094, 303-273-3483