[TriLUG] Font Server (xfs) Question

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 12 10:00:23 EST 2002

Hi Folks,

I'm trying to add a new font path to the font paths that xfs uses that's
under my home directory.

I know this is a nonstandard location for fonts, but I don't see why it
isn't working.

I'm using Redhat 7.2.  I'm adding the font path as root using
chkfontpath.  When I look in /etc/X11/fs/config, I see that the font
path has been added to the bottom of the list of font paths.

When I restart xfs, the fonts are being added, because I can see them
using xfontsel.  However, when I try to run any other application that
uses the fonts, they are not available.

I know there's nothing wrong with the fonts, their alias or dir files,
because I can put this font directory under /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts and
run chkfontpath with this path, then restart xfs and they work fine.

Is there something about directories under /home, or ownership and
permissions that xfs is particular about?  Does anyone know if there's a
way to make the fonts available to xfs in their location in userspace?

Thanks,

                     Scott C.