[TriLUG] S/390 Linux

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Thu Dec 12 11:30:09 EST 2002

Hello Everyone,
  I just got done installing RedHat 7.2 for S/390 on one of our 390s. I
am totally 390 illiterate and it took a lot of hand holding from our 390
folks to get the install started. I must commend the RedHat people.
Other than DASD(DASD is mainframe speak for disk) set up, it was just
like any other RedHat install I've done. I did an NFS install with the
RPMs stored on a x386 Linux machine. No problem.
  Once I had Linux up and running, I felt right at home. The only hint
that is a 390 is uname and that root is mounted from /dev/dasda1 not
hda1 or sda1. I am pulling the errata with wget while ssh'd in. What a
great way to use IBM's hardware.

Ken