[TriLUG] LVS performance/scale

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Fri Dec 13 16:36:04 EST 2002

I used LVS at a "former employer" and the technology is extremely
scalable.  I highly recommend it!  In our tests using a fairly low-level
system for the redirector we simulated attachments from 20,000 clients
in an hour.  There were absolutely no problems.

We had the LVS systems front-ending our DMZ so all the servers were
reached via masqueraded connections (or reverse masqueraded connections
if you will).  It seemed to scale as well as a masquerading firewall
would - so you might want to think of it in those terms.

I think that if you have a lot of simultaneous connections (like ~1000)
then you'll definitely need to drop down the time that it stores
connection information.  That shouldn't be a big deal.

How does the Oracle Forms application work?  Is the server-side doing
all the work and needing to store states?  If so, then you can adjust
the LVS to have the same client return to the same server (as long as
that server is up) for the length of time that you store your states on
the server.

If the application is driven by URL tags and client side remembered
states, then of course it doesn't matter which server the LVS hands you
off to.

Good luck - Jon Carnes