[TriLUG] [OT] Setting up a home wireless network

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Sun Dec 15 13:06:15 EST 2002

Any recommendatinos on sources for home wireless setup? My situation is
that I've got an existing, wired network in the study consisting of three
desktop computers (two debian, one of which acts as the firewall/iptables
router, and one Win98) and one laptop. I want the laptop to go wireless,
and it's got a working wireless card which I've successfully used on the
UNC campus's wireless network.  I bought a WAP (Belkin) to use for the
home network. The question is... what's the right way to set it up? It
defaults to an IP address of 192.168.0.254 which is fine by me since the
other machines on the home network are 192.168.0.[3..14]. But how do I set
up the laptop and WAP so that packets from the laptop wind their way
through the WAP, then through the router/firewall machine?  Setting the
gateway to either 192.168.0.254 (the WAP) or 192.168.0.3 (the router
machine) doesn't seem to work.

Thanks for any advice.

clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu