[TriLUG] [OT] Setting up a home wireless network

Stephen P. Schaefer sschaefer at acm.org
Thu Dec 19 16:39:40 EST 2002

I was using static addresses in my home network until recently, but then
I found myself at a client where I had to use DHCP with my RH 8.0
laptop.  For a few days, I would use neat every morning to go to DHCP,
and again in the evening to go static, but that got old -- particularly
because, even though neat has "profiles" changing eth0 to DHCP in one
profile changed it to DHCP in all the profiles, and the same with
static.  So it wasn't just a matter of choosing a profile.  And now,
after some updates from Red Hat, almost all marked as security
enhancements, I can't start neat from the user account and get prompted
for the root password -- now it just silently fails (no window, no
nothing - I can't even find an error message - I need to learn where to
look).  neat still works from the root account.  After all that, it was
easier (<30min) to set up a DHCP server at home than to put up with all
this.

     - Stephen P. Schaefer