flogging (was Re: [TriLUG] Outlook express and ssl.)

Ben Simpson ben at silextech.com
Fri Dec 20 13:22:25 EST 2002

Robert,

My question was more geared toward IMAPD/POP3 and SSL than Outlook.

If Outlook doesn't show if it is connected through SSL like Mozilla on
Linux, what is a good way to find out if the packets are actually
encrypted?  With a packets sniffer, but what am I looking at (or for)?

I found the answer somewhere else so thanks anyway.

I have found this group extremely useful and would like to thank the
people who have answered my questions in the past.

The reason I use this one now is because I am tired of deleting useless
emails from the other ones.
Most news groups are full of flame wars.
Linux vs. windows
Redhat vs. "fill in the blank" linux
KDE vs. Gnome
Spiderman vs. Hulk

I think most of the people here are using Linux in a company setting
like I am rather than just using it at home.   For instance, this email
is coming from Mozilla mail on SUSE linux 8.1 workstation through my
Debian server using Postfix and  SSL/SMTP. Authentication is done by
OpenLDAP.  Webserver is running Apache with virtual websites.  Database
running PostgreSQL with a 700,000 row database.  All backed up by
Amanda.  Two out of the three servers are running Linux.  The other
being Microsoft 2000 Advanced server.

I don't think I could have set up all of this by myself without help
from others (mainly this group).

I went from Novell 3.11 in the early days to Windows NT  (I got my MCSE
back when Linux was just a baby) now I use Windows 2000 and Linux.
I got my start with Linux along time ago back with Slackware when it
came on a zillion floppies.    :)

Anyways, that's why I don't bother with other "news groups" or "users
groups" even if it sounded to you like it didn't belong.

Besides do you really think anyone would have or could have answered my
question on an Outlook Express news group?

:)

Ben

--
Ben Simpson, MCSE