[TriLUG] Any info on Mandrake 9 Orinoco Silver card configuration?

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Sun Dec 22 23:02:32 EST 2002

On Sun, 2002-12-22 at 21:14, Mike Shaw wrote:
> I have a Lucent Orinoco Silver card that requires the
> wavelan2 driver, but harddrake sees it as a wavelan(1)
> card.  I looked and only the wavelan(1) module is in
> /lib/modules . . .
>
> Anyone know if there is a separate RPM for the
> wavelan2 driver or do I have to "wedge" it in?

Well, the driver is in Mandrake 9.0, but...
The utilities to use it got left out of the
distribution by accident (it's the wlan-ng driver
and it's new...).  I've got a copy of the needed
rpm, however, at:

http://www.trilug.org/~lovelace/rpms/mandrake/9.0/i586/prism2-utils-0.1.14-1mdk.i586.rpm

Just install that, then restart the pcmcia service
(as root, type "service pcmcia restart"), then
insert the card and it should work.  (Oh, and
remember that it uses the wlan0 interface
instead of eth0, so that will need to be setup.)

Good luck.  If you have any problems, both
Mike Johnson and I have been through this before,
so feel free to ask.

Cheers,
Tanner Lovelace