[TriLUG] RoadRunner issue - arp flood?

Steve Kuekes steve at kuekes.homeip.net
Tue Dec 24 14:48:56 EST 2002

You got it right....

Its the Nimbda virus, et al.  if you look at the arp packets it is
scripts looking for responding ip addresses.  The IP addresses go

x.x.x.1
x.x.x.2
x.x.x.3.. etc

Its the Nimbda and like viruses looking for active IP addresses.  You
can't tell the source IP address because the original user is doing a
ping and the RR routers are attempting to resolve the IP address with a
mac address on the RR network.  Hence the arp request (which means...
"anyone listening if you are this IP address please respond to me with
your mac address").

If you are running a web server you'll see that you still get hit with
Nimbda attacks hourly.  Also if you are running an SMTP server you see
attacks looking for open relay routers to use to send SPAM.  (I get
tested at least twice a night mostly from china ip addresses).

So thank the Spammers, script kiddies and virus writers.  They are
sucking up bandwith with their crap.

--
Steve Kuekes

Private Pilot: N9259R '95 Saratoga based at Sanford-Lee County Regional
(TTA)
email: skuekes at nc.rr.com