[TriLUG] Some Newbie Linux Questions

al johnson alfjon at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 30 12:40:24 EST 2002

Since my windows hard drive totally crashed yesterday, I'm really glad that
I didn't have a dual-boot system on that drive. So, I'm working with Linux as
my ONLY OS (with the exception of my Mac Powerbook's OSX). This being the
case naturally I have some questions about Linux. Some of them are simple
questions which I haven't really had much luck with help, others are probably
questions that only experts can answer.
     I'll start at the beginning. The distribution is Mandrake 8.1 and it was
installed at the Trilug installfest. And as far as I can tell, they did a
great job. I really haven't used it that much since I prefer to go slow since
I know it is easy to totally screw up any OS.
     I tried Evolution as my email program, but switched to KDE Mail after
receiving this error message after trying to send an email:

"SMTP server Mindspring.com does not support authentication type PLAIN"

OK, I'm totally in the dark about what this all means. Any info on how to
remedy this problem ==or is it just a problem with the WAY  I tried to send
this message (Incidentally if this message is received you will know that I
succeeded with Kmail).?

That's the first question.
My second question is also an error message which I think I know what it
means (but I'm not certain) has to do with an error which occurs when the
system is checking itself just before booting into Linux. OK it's checking
this and that and just a few things fail but there is one item which reads as
follows:  "Bringing up interface eth0:" at which point the system pauses for
a very long time and then tries to obtain "ip info for eth0 interface" which
fails and then the other one also fails . Now I have a Lan card on this
computer which is not connected at the moment (I use a modem instead).
So since eth could mean ethernet I'm just guessing that that is what that
error means. But if I'm correct, shouldn't I terminate it or something to
prevent this error from happening??

 That's my second question.

Just about everything else works fine (as far as I know), but then I haven't
had enough time to use this system to run every Linux program that's installed
on it. I'm also having problems figuring out how to use the address book in
Kmail. It's definitely not like any other address book I've ever used.
   One of my favorite programs in Windows was AGENT.  Pan is the closest
Linux equivalent, but it too is very different from AGENT.  If there's a "Pan
fan" who would be willing to answer some questions I have about Pan feel free
to use this address:  alfjon at mindspring.com .

Happy New Year everyone. I really have enjoyed being in Trilug. It's one of
the few clubs whose meetings I really enjoy. Hope everyone got what they
wanted from Santa or Allah or whoever delivers the goodies at your home.
---Al  Johnson.