[TriLUG] Some Newbie Linux Questions

Heath Holcomb bluetea at nc.rr.com
Mon Dec 30 17:45:57 EST 2002

Just FYI...

There is another way to do this that definitely won't affect anything
else. All you do is open your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
file in an editor and change ONBOOT=yes to ONBOOT=no. This will stop
Linux from trying to bring up your Ethernet connection when you boot,
but will let you configure other types of connections to start when you
boot (e.g. you could still set your computer up to dial out
automatically when you boot). If you decide you want to start your
Ethernet connection after you've booted, you can do "ifup eth0". This
works on Red Hat and probably on Mandrake. Also, most distros have
graphical tools that will configure this stuff for you if you don't like
working from the command line.

Good luck!

Heath