[TriLUG] Some Newbie Linux Questions

al johnson alfjon at mindspring.com
Mon Dec 30 21:43:47 EST 2002

OK, I've got several possibilities, so many that perhaps a little explanation
on my part is required. While I don't have a high-speed internet connection,
I do have a very close friend who does. If I needed to use it, e.g. to update
my Linux system files, all I would have to do is give him a call and go over
to his home, plug in and do whatever I need to do. I update my Mac this very
same way. So what I suppose I need is a simple way to switch the eth0 out of
the boot sequence or just switch it off, and a simple way to switch it back
on whenever I need to do a lot of updates. That's why I wanted to know how to
get it switched back on.
     As far as Mandrake vs. Red Hat is concerned,  I do know that while there
are strong similarities there are also differences. So many that that you
have to be careful with your RPM files because some Red Hat RPMs (or so I'm
told by a reliable source) can ruin a Mandrake installation.  For those which
are different you have to go to the Mandrake site.
     Incidentally, I apologize to the group for writing so much on just this
single topic. But perhaps if anyone else has this problem in the future they
will know what to do.
Happy New Year Everyone!!---Al Johnson.