[TriLUG] Some Newbie Linux Questions

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Tue Dec 31 11:06:13 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 09:02, Tarus Balog wrote:
> For Redhat/Mandrake, editing the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> file and setting onboot=no is your best bet. I do this since I have a
> wireless ethernet card as eth1 which I primarily use at home. When I am on
> the road and need the "wired" card, it is simple to turn on.
>
> In the same directory you will see the "ifup" and "ifdown" scripts. Simply
> run "ifup eth0" to turn it on, and "ifdown eth0" to turn it off. Both need
> to be run as root.

Oh, just thought you would like to know if you add "USERCTL=yes" to any
ifcfg-eth0 or other ifcfg file then non-root users can also use the ifup
and ifdown commands.  You also have to remember to add /sbin to the
users path or type /sbin/ifdown and /sbin/ifup to run the commands.
Another nice little trick I stumbled across, if you add DEVICE=eth1 to a
file such as ifcfg-home then by typing ifup home eth1 comes up.  Works
real nice in wireless mode for example:

ifup home (wireless eth1 comes up with home WEP/ESSID settings)
ifup work (wireless eth1 comes up with work WEP/ESSID settings)
ifup gnrl (wireless eth1 comes up with generic settings good for a
I-cafe)

Hope that helps.

-David