[TriLUG] linuux mouse kvm problems

Scott Chilcote scottchilcote at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 1 15:51:58 EST 2003

Hi Brian,

I'm not sure what specific problem you're seeing with the Belkin KVM
switch, but if it's the problem where the mouse behaves erratically
every 2nd time you switch back to XFree86 there are two "fixes":

1. Stop using imps/2 for mouse wheel support, and go back to PS/2.  This
is in the XF86Config file.  If you have a Redhat distribution that uses
XF86Config-4, change it there instead.

2. Live with the problem, but restore the mouse functionality each time
by switching virtual consoles away from, and then back to XFree86.  This
is done (for example) by typing <ctrl-alt-f1> <ctrl-alt-f7>.

I started having yet another problem with my Belkin KVM, where my
keyboard stops responding at all after being switched sometimes.  It's
very frustrating because it happens independently of the switch setting.
  I just have to keep switching until it decides to start working again,
which can take several tries.

My solution was to start using a dual display card (Matrox G550),
x0rfbserver, and vncviewer so that I could display both systems
side-by-side instead of switching between them.

I understand that x0rfbserver has problems, and that it's no longer
needed with XFree86 4.2.  I plan to make this switch soon to reduce
network traffic and the occasional crashes I get with x0rfbserver.

Good luck.

                Scott C.