Modem Hangup (was Re: [TriLUG] Some Newbie Linux Questions)

Chris Knowles chrisk at trilug.org
Wed Jan 1 23:32:12 EST 2003

Just a quick follow up...

If you want the link to go dead after being _idle_ for 10 minutes, put a
line reading "idle 600" in the /etc/ppp/options file.  (or whatever
options file you've configured ppp to use).

Assuimng you don't have anything running in the background that's using
the connection, like fetchmail, this should work fine.

CJK

On Wed, 2003-01-01 at 22:06, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> On Mon, 2002-12-30 at 16:53, al johnson wrote:
>
> > And I also have another which I asked a long time ago when I first joined
> > Trilug.
> >
> > I asked if there was a way to hang up my modem (i.e. my internet connection
> > and telephone) without resetting the computer at any period of time that I
> > might desire, e.g. 10 min. , 20 min., 1 hour, 2 hours, 2 hours and 20 mins.,
> > etc. At that time long before I had a good working Linux machine I was given
> > a one line Terminal command to accomplish just that. If anyone remembers what
> > it was, I'd love to have it now!!.
> > ----Thanks A lot everyone.
>
> Hi Al,
>
> I'm just getting back from vacation so sorry about the late response.
> For this question, are you interested in hanging up the modem after 10
> minutes/etc of inactivity, or just after 10 minutes period?  I don't
> know of a simple way for hanging after "inactivity" (since sometimes
> your computer does things in the background even when you aren't).
<Snip a useful script for hanging up after 10 minutes period ...>
--
Chris Knowles <chrisk at trilug.org>