[TriLUG] Boot Loaders and the like

Bryan Burroughs beburrou at unity.ncsu.edu
Thu Jan 2 01:40:54 EST 2003

Folks,
    I've installed RedHat 8.0 on a system and I would like to remove it, mostly cause it's got a problem with a video card I installed, and I'd like to put it in its own box, for a much more safe "tinkerable" environment.  I have a few problems though, one of which I doubt is a big problem.

1)  I can't get into a GUI because of the video problem, so I have to do everything from command line.  This cripples me pretty badly, since i am still totally new.
2)  I'm using LILO as the boot loader, since i'm in league with the M$ devil for my main needs.  I'm not *quite* sure which hard drive the boot loader is on, but I assume its on the same one as my windows installation, since trying to boot from the linux hard drive gives me an "OS not found" error during booting.
3)  I don't really know how to "uninstall" RedHat anyway.  I suppose I could just pop in the RH CD and see if it has an uninstall option, but I don't recall if it did.  That, and the fact that there are two RH installations listed in LILO, one of them apparently being the original and the other a backup (probably saving the pre-video crash environment).

Help would be greatly appreciated.  I think it's time for me to go find a manual or something and have a good... read...  any suggestions?  Oh, and if it ends in "for Dummies," I think i'd pass on that.  Thx in advance.

        The Burro

--
"It's a one dog town, and he's old and mean..."
	-- Garth Brooks