[TriLUG] Port Numbers (was: email (imap) setup question)

Ben Pitzer uncleben at mindspring.com
Thu Jan 2 08:52:06 EST 2003

Folks,

/etc/services, as Mike said, is a good place to start, however it is not
comprehensive.  On some systems, ports are left out of /etc/services, so if
you don't see what you're looking for in there, don't panic.  In that case,
Lisa's reference page is spot on.  I usually refer to my local system first,
but have had to look elsewhere in the past.  I hadn't seen that IANA page
before, but I've book marked it for future use.  You Solaris users, for
example, remember:  port 22 is not listed in /etc/services by default.  You
may need to add it by hand.

Regards,
Ben Pitzer

"Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary
safety
 deserve neither liberty nor safety."
 --Ben Franklin--