[TriLUG] email (imap) setup question

Henryk M. Kowalski kowalski at easternrad.com
Thu Jan 2 10:05:31 EST 2003

Jeremy Portzer wrote:

> Port 113 is used for auth/ident, which is a service that gives the Unix
> userid for the originator of a TCP/IP connection.  It's commonly used by
> IRC but other services sometimes try to use it.  Since your IMAPD is
> probably being "spawned" by either xinetd or inetd, check the [x]inetd
> configuration to turn off ident, and also check the configuration of
> your IMAP server.  (UW IMAP, which is the standard imapd in Red Hat
> Linux, doesn't use ident but other server brands may.)
>
> Hope this helps,
> Jeremy

Jeremy,

Now I'm even more puzzled:
- My system is running UW IMAP (also *apparently* standard on Mandrake).
  I didn't recompile or do anything unusual during install of rpms.  As
you know, there IS NO config file for UW IMAP.
- imap IS spawned by xinetd
- I checked xinetd.d AND 'chkconfig --list' and ps -aux  :  No mention
of ident or auth anywhere

This is the listing of
/etc/xinetd.d/imap

# default: off
using \
#              an IMAP client such as Mutt, Pine, fetchmail, or Netscape \
#              Communicator.

service imap
{
         disable = no
         socket_type             = stream
         wait                    = no
         user                    = root
         server                  = /usr/sbin/imapd
         log_on_success          += DURATION USERID
         log_on_failure          += USERID
}

Sooo...  It's still unresloved.
It's not interfering with my system (now) and I haven't found any
mentions of any ident exploits, but it's an unsolved riddle.

--hmk