[TriLUG] General message question

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Thu Jan 2 11:26:55 EST 2003

I frequently receive a samba message to my console that I can safely
ignore.  Problem is that it's frequent enough to be annoying (like when
I'm in a vi session), so I'd like to redirect it to /dev/null or some
place equally innocuous.  I know that /etc/syslog.conf is a good place
to start, but I don't know what level of message it is, or even if it's
actually a kernel message not a samba message.  So my question is, what
is the best way to find out what kind of message it is so that I can
redirect it using syslog?  I've included a sample of the messages below.

smb_trans2_request: result=-104, setting invalid
smb_retry: successful, new pid=854, generation=26
smb_trans2_request: result=-104, setting invalid
smb_retry: successful, new pid=1485, generation=33
smb_trans2_request: result=-104, setting invalid
smb_retry: successful, new pid=1509, generation=35

This is when the Windows machine that has the open share times out the
connection(smb_trans2_request), and the linux machine tries to access
data on the share(smb_retry).

Thanks for your help,
Joseph