[TriLUG] General message question

Steven Blanchard sgblanch at email.unc.edu
Fri Jan 3 01:49:52 EST 2003

Joseph Tate wrote:

> I frequently receive a samba message to my console that I can safely
> ignore.  Problem is that it's frequent enough to be annoying (like
> when I'm in a vi session), so I'd like to redirect it to /dev/null or
> some place equally innocuous.  I know that /etc/syslog.conf is a good
> place to start, but I don't know what level of message it is, or even
> if it's actually a kernel message not a samba message.  So my question
> is, what is the best way to find out what kind of message it is

you might want to see if the messages are coming from dmesg. dmesg with
no options will print the kernel buffer which contains boot logs and
other bits of information. it can also be used to control what is
getting printed to the console. for example, dmesg -n 1 will prevent
everything but panic messages from being printed

hope that helps
~steven