[TriLUG] RH 8.0 install problems

Douglas Kojetin djkojeti at unity.ncsu.edu
Fri Jan 3 12:39:49 EST 2003

> > I've got a problem that has been hitting me all day long on one
> particular
> > system (I searched google, and a few others have had similar problems).
> >
> > I can get through the GUI install up to where it formats/starts
> installing
> > packages ... then I eventually get the following error:
> >
> > "There was an error installing XXXXXXX.  This can indicate media
> failure,
> > lack of disk space, and/or hardware problems.  This is a fatal error and
> > your install will be aborted.  Please verify your media and try your
> install
> > again"
>
> Did you run the integrity check on each of the Red Hat CDs when it asks
> you to near the start of the install process?  A bad burn is by far the
> mostly likely cause of this error.

I burned the CDs at 32x originally.  Thinking this was the problem, I did it
again at 8x, and the first two CDs installed OK, but the third one gave the
same error.  I suppose I might try burning the 3rd CD at 4x just to be safe,
but it's puzzling that the original CDs that just recently gave me problems
worked just fine a few weeks ago.

Also, I did run the integrity check (for both the old 32x CDs and 8x CDs)
before install ... and they passed.

Guess I'll try it again ... thanks for your input.

Doug