[TriLUG] All in one wireless access point/router question

Tanner Lovelace lovelace at wayfarer.org
Mon Jan 6 00:24:02 EST 2003

Here's a question for both Jason and Jeremy.  Where is the wireless
network in relation to the wan and internal lan?  Is it on the internal
lan, or is it possible to put it on a DMZ network that is between the
two (i.e. can access the wan, but not the internal lan unless you
specify it that way?  If so, then that would be really cool.

Cheers,
Tanner

On Sun, 2003-01-05 at 23:52, Jason Tower wrote:
> i just set up a netgear MR814 today for a customer that worked great right out
> of the box.  i think it cost me $99 w/ a $30 MIR.  dhcp server, NAT, good
> port forwarding capabilities, nice browser based config, 128 bit wep, mac
> address ACL, etc.  i think the range leaves a bit to be desired, but the
> antenna is detachable, which means it can probably be replaced easily enough.
> i was pretty happy with it, especially for the price.
>
> jason
>
> On Sunday 05 January 2003 23:36, Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> > >
> > > Roy, correct me if I'm wrong, but one of those Linksys or Netgear
> > > cable/dsl routers with a four port switch would probably do the
> > > same thing as the portable firewall and you could probably just
> > > plug it in and go.  Actually, I believe they even have that with
> > > included wireless which would be even better because then we'd
> > > just need the one box to do everything. :-)
> >
> > Yeah, the ones with an included wireless access point are pretty cool,
> > and we've been having a lot of trouble with the airport recently.  I
> > picked up the Linksys BEFW11S4 at CompUSA for $129.99 this past weekend
> > (I finally got broadband Internet at home); I'd be willing to loan this
> > for each meeting except I often don't get to meetings early since I
> > bring the pizza.
> >
> > --Jeremy

> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:
Tanner Lovelace | lovelace at wayfarer.org | http://wtl.wayfarer.org/
GPG Fingerprint = A66C 8660 924F 5F8C 71DA  BDD0 CE09 4F8E DE76 39D4
GPG Key can be found at http://wtl.wayfarer.org/lovelace.gpg.asc