[TriLUG] Slightly OT: AOL Cable Broadband & Linux

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Mon Jan 6 14:35:22 EST 2003

Joseph Tate [jtate at dragonstrider.com] wrote:
> But add the costs of running it to your power bill.  You might save 5-10
> bucks a month by running a "boxed edge router" rather than a dedicated
> Linux computer, even a PII.

Uh, you're way overestimating the cost there.  My last power bill was
somewhere around $100.  At all times, I have fifteen computers, three
switches, two hubs, a WAP, a router, and a TiVo running.  So, by your
math, those computers account for between $75 and $150 of my power bill.
Assuming the $75 number, that leaves $25 for my other computing
equipment, the oven/stove (which, granted, doesn't get as much use as it
should), the blower on my heater (gas heat), the ceiling fans and
lights, the fridge, the washer and dryer, the TV, and stereo.

I think $5 is too high, while $2 or $3 is more likely.  I can cope with
that on a monthly basis for the added flexibility I gain.

Mike

PS This isn't a 'mine is bigger than yours' contest, merely proof
against that $5 to $10 a month figure.
--
"If life hands you lemons, YOU BLOW THOSE LEMONS TO BITS WITH
 YOUR LASER CANNONS!" -- Brak