[TriLUG] Slightly OT: AOL Cable Broadband & Linux

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Mon Jan 6 15:35:41 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-06 at 14:43, Robert Baker wrote:
> Isn't AOL's Broadband just TW RR with AOL Access etc...?
>
> So I'm sure you'll just connect the router to the cable modem then login to
> your AOL desktop (tell it to use your LAN and not your modem?).  Not sure if
> the cable modem will require a username/password like a DSL modem. I think
> all the new routers will let you enter your username/password for PPoE
> connections.

Right, and the advantage of using AOL Broadband is that the price of the
AOL service is included.  You could achieve the same thing by ordering
"normal" Road Runner service (or Earthlink or whatever), and then opting
for AOL's Bring Your Own Access plan.  But BYOA is $14.95 + RR at $44.95
= $59.90 .  AOL Broadband is apparently $54.95 offering a slight
savings, and plus you get an IP within AOL's network and unlimited
dialup access.

Here's another option that may cost less, if the users don't need the
AOL "value-add" content and just want to keep the email addresses.  Sign
up for Earthlink cable internet for $41.95/mo, and reduce AOL to the
lowest possible plan of $4.95/mo, which is something like 5 hours per
month of connectivity.  Then, setup the AOL client to connect via the
LAN and retrieve email with "Automatic AOL" (flash sessions).  Total
cost would be about $47 monthly, but you'd have to be careful to
minimize the amount of time connected to the AOL network.

--Jeremy