[TriLUG] Slightly OT: AOL Cable Broadband & Linux

Joseph Tate jtate at dragonstrider.com
Mon Jan 6 16:35:43 EST 2003

I've read that PC's cost as much as $20 a month in power costs, but I
don't remember the source.  Howerver, in late 2001 according to Wise Inc
(which quotes the EPA), the average PC used between 50-100 W/h when in
operation.  Over one month, that cost (assuming 9c/kWh as it was in July
2001 in Charlotte, though higher in most parts of the country, don't
have my power bill in front of me to see how much it is today) is $3.24
to $6.48 not including taxes.  With a monitor, which uses between 85-150
W/h, that figure can more double.  Energy costs have gone up as has
energy consumption.  A PPro 200 uses 69 W.  A 1.5 Ghz P-4 uses 85 W.  A
Dual P-III 533 server uses 141 W.  A $5-10 savings figure may be a
little off centered, but not too much.  I got most of my figures from
http://www.thinclient.net/_vti_bin/shtml.exe/power/intro-f.htm and
http://www.wyse.com/overview/energy/.  The cost of running an 8 port hub
was 8 watts.  This I would imagine is close to what running the "boxed
edge router" uses:

Thus using a 200Mhz Pentium Pro and assuming that todays power costs are
12cents/kWh:
69W - 8W = 61 W
61W * 30 days * 24 hrs / 1000 = 43.92 kWh/month
43.92 kWh/month * $.12/kWh = $5.27 + taxes.

Joseph