[TriLUG] [OT] Lesson in global economics

Stephen P. Schaefer sschaefer at acm.org
Mon Jan 6 18:29:51 EST 2003

This has to do with human values and politics, and little to do with
technology.  You've been warned.

I start with a natural law principle: that all men are created equal. [I
don't exclude anyone; don't allow PC obfuscations exclude you.]  I don't
have any inherent right to a better income than a Romanian.  When free
software makes us *all* richer, it is a Good Thing.  If I'm rich because
a Romanian is poor, I should be ashamed.  It is my hope that free
software will make the whole world richer; then someday they may be able
to afford my services!

There are good reasons a client or employer might choose my services
rather than a Romanian's:

* They might talk to me more easily.  Face to face.  In English as a
first language.

* I may have better access to resources: it seems likely few Romainians,
even programmers, will have broadband at home.  This might be the reason
you're "cutting edge", and the Romanian's aren't.

* U.S.jurisdiction.  You're probably vaguely familiar with U.S. law, and
know generally what to expect.  There may be unpleasant surprises with
Romanian law, or the enforcement thereof.  U.S. law can certainly be an
ass [vide Dickens (U.S. law derived on English common law)], but it's an
ass you know.

All the above reasons apply more strongly to U.S. entities seeking
services; less so to multinationals; they might be disincentives for a
Romanian client.  U.S. programmers are at a distinct price disadvantage
when competing internationally.  I wouldn't try it myself, unless there
was a specific situation that amplified my advantages and mitigated my
disadvantages.

My own specialization is system administration.  I lay hands on material
stuff often enough that proximity is an important aspect of the value I
bring to a job.  My attachment to the R.T.P. area is a plus for certain
clients or employers, a detriment for others.  I wouldn't accept primary
responsibility for Romanian systems unless I intended to move there.  I
am still a programmer: a good sysadmin will automate, automate, automate!

With respect to the specific project you're discussing, you should find
the pieces that only you can do, and find out what their value is for
your customer.  That's the ceiling on what you can charge, regardless of
the rate Romanian programmers get.  If there are Romanian programmers
who can do all the work just as well, look for a different project.  If
you do bring special abilities to the project, charge for those and farm
the rest out to a Romanian partner -- perhaps looking for other work to
do at the same time: you might spend a couple hours a day advising, with
your Romanian partner doing most of the coding *if* the jobs can be
split that way.

A riff on international economics: supply and demand used to be the
subject of *micro*economics, because transportation costs removed all
but the local community from consideration.  Hello, globalization.  I
happen to ascribe to certain Judaic-Christian-European derived notions
of natural law and justice.  I assert that these principals are
universally attractive and that they constitute universal goods - not
the good of Bill Gates, but the good of everyone.  I further assert that
societies acting on those principals will prosper more than societies
which do not.  And we are becoming a global society.  I am betrayed and
impoverished by my government and by the corporations it governs when
they collude in the maintenance of tyranny or injustice - anywhere on
the planet.  I will not say that the U.S. has better or worse government
than other countries - circumstances make them incommensurable.  But
right and wrong apply to sufficiently specific instances, and we
citizens of the U.S. have a lot that is wrong we need to make right -
like the trashing of antitrust law and the whoring of elected officials
- and a lot right we need to keep right - like our civil liberties.

     - Stephen