[TriLUG] Internet connection Sharing

Chris Bullock cgbullock at cox.net
Mon Jan 6 23:34:38 EST 2003

I am tring to set up Internet connection sharing for my
home network.  Hardware, Using a Compaq deskpro with dual
nics, one compaq and one smc1211.  Have broadband coming
in from my modem to eth0 which is my compaq card.  eth1
(SMC)card is going to a Netgear 4-port 10mb hub which will
hopefully feed my internal machines.  I am using Mandrake
9.0 with all the updates.  I have tried this twice on two
different machines with the same result.  I goto Mandrake
Control Center and click Internet connection sharing and
go through the steps, download the needed packages and so
on, Configure my eth0 as the Internet interface and my
eth1 as the LAN interface.  All seems well until it
finishes configuring.  At this point my eth0 (Internet if)
goes down. No light on the card or the modem.  service
network start will not bring up external interface.
ifconfig does not show external but does show the
internal.  What file(s) does the Internet connection file
use so maybe I can look at to see anything that stands
out?  Or can someone help?

Thanks in advance,

--Chris