[TriLUG] Visio alternative

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 6 23:05:20 EST 2003

On Tuesday 07 January 2003 08:55, Lisa C. Boyd wrote:
> I was playing around on my Linux box the other day, opening apps to see
> what they do :) I came across Kivio (under the KOffice menu) and saw
> that it similar in function to Visio. I wanted to check and see if
> anyone else has used this app or a different one.

I just tried it out.  It's looks pretty lean.  You have to buy extras or
build your own stencils.  I tried to insert a Kivio object into a Kword
doument and did not succeed totally.  I inserted and was able to create and
edit a diagram.  When I went back to editing, the Kivio object did not appear
in the frame (it was all white space and I expected to see the rectangle that
I drew).  The Kivio documentation is included in the commercial version.  I
have no problem with buying enhanced software but I would want to see a basic
version perform a simple benchmark test successfully and intuitively before
grabbing a shopping cart.  I am not a Visio user so I can't speak to the UI
similarities.  It seemed easy to create stick diagrams and label them.

I've managed to do without Visio-like apps.  What sort of work do you use
them for?  I use the drawing program in StarOffice, Gimp, and AutoCAD.  I
know more about Powerpoint than is healthy and I hope I never create another
overhead chart in my lifetime.
--
Mike M.