[TriLUG] LVS and RAID

Ryan Leathers Ryan.Leathers at globalknowledge.com
Thu Jan 9 09:02:55 EST 2003

Yes sir, I began using LVM on Linux about 5 months ago on some Dell "big
iron" SMP hardware RAID systems running Redhat 7.3
Most of these systems have a mirror set for the OS and RAID 5 for the
applications.

Since I come from an HP-UX background I had sorely missed the benefits
of LVM in Linux.  After catching an article about improved stability in
LVM for Linux I decided to try it out on a Redhat 7.3 development box.
It compiled, configured, and performed on this test system without a
hitch.  I added physical drives, removed drives from a RAID set and
placed them in another, you name it I tried it.  LVM allowed me to grow
and shrink volumes without concern for the hardware RAID.  After a few
weeks I was so pleased with the results I moved 4 production servers to
LVM.  Again, everything went flawlessly.  When I set up my first Redhat
8.0 server, much to my delight, I found that LVM was built in.  I have
been running 3 Redhat 8.0 servers and 4 Redhat 7.3 servers, all with
large hardware RAIDS, for a few months now and couldn't be more pleased
with the results.

Ryan