[TriLUG] red hat sendmail rpms with tls support?

Rodent of Unusual Size Ken.Coar at Golux.Com
Thu Jan 9 11:15:34 EST 2003

Jeremy Portzer wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 09:54, Rodent of Unusual Size wrote:
>
>>wrt apache, rh completely ignored/modified/whacked the apachectl
>>script, giving it a different name, arguments, and location.
>>other things, too, but that's the most serious in terms of support.
>>fortunately, mark cox tells me they stopped doing this for 8.0
>>(maybe 7.3), but since i run neither 8.0 nor the apache rpm i
>>haven't verified.
>
> Isn't this so that the service can be run by the standard
> /etc/rc.d/init.d/ paradigm (ie, the "service" command)?  I don't see
> what's wrong with that

aside from the fact that apachectl as shipped with apache *already does*?
and that if they had any changes, they could just leave apachectl in the
apache hierarchy and wrapper it with an rc script?  but no, they had to
scrap apachectl and rewrite it.  n-i-h.

> I haven't ever built sendmail from source, so this might be bogus, but
> for most applications it's better to enable a function/feature with an
> option to the configure script.  Can you do this with sendmail?

it's more complex than that, alas.  i did not just 'add something
to the makefile'; i tried to follow the sendmail instructions.
and they don't work on rh's sendmail source rpm.

>>latest news: sendmail 8.12 rpm needs db-4.  db-4 needs jdkgcj.
>>jdkgcj needs gcjlib.  gcjlib needs gcc-java.  now why the flying
>>moose ears does a db package need java libraries???
>

> It's probably because there are APIs for calling db4 from Java.  As more
> and more packages get sophisticated and compatible with each other, they
> need more and more libraries.  I think it's a fact of life, and disk
> space is cheap!  But I understand your frustration.

aside from the fact that i have jikes, but was forced to install the
gcc compiler.

rrrrrr...  i need to blog this and get it out of my system.
--
#ken	P-)}

"Millennium hand and shrimp!"