[TriLUG] Win4Lin(was linuux mouse kvm problems)

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Sat Jan 11 03:54:01 EST 2003

There's another way to "skin the Windows animal". Go get yourself a drawer
cabinet which mounts in any 5" bay and will allow you to insert and remove
hard drives which are mounted in removable drawers (which can contain any OS
you wish--Linux or Windows or both). This cost should around $75.00 (the
last I checked--the ones you should prefer have vents on them with one or
two fans which blow on your hard drive while in use--this cools the hard
drive and makes it last longer to boot!!) .

Then search for an inexpensive hard drive (there's always several large ones
which go on sale at Best Buy, etc. from time to time). You should be able to
buy a good size one for about $60.00. Now you can use Linux and Windows
without endangering either OS (as opposed to dual-booting which can prevent
a bad Windows virus or hard drive crash from destroying your Linux
partition). Then whenever you need to run a Windows program (which should be
done less and less the more Linux programs appear!) you simply shut down
either system, cut off the power, remove the hard drive by hand (these
drawers usually have locks on them to keep them from falling out or from
being stolen) and switch OS's. When my Windows drive recently crashed
unexpectedly,  I  simply put in my Linux drive and went on with my work.

You probably already have a Windows OS on a drive already which means that
you won't have to purchase any software!!!  So if you're concerned about
expenses (and who isn't esp. in this economy), this route has a lot going
for it.
Bon Appetit---Al Johnson.