[TriLUG] Website frontend? PHPNuke or YaPP

Lisa C. Boyd lisab at trilug.org
Sun Jan 12 08:29:43 EST 2003

Jim Ray wrote:
> what's a web site front end?

I believe he's looking for a content management system.

B. Evans wrote:
> I'm shopping around for a web site frontend.  Open-sourced of course.
>  Looking at YaPP and PHPNuke right now.  Anyone have experience with
> either?  Recommend one over the other or have a simpler idea?

When I started a similiar journey as yours I read a lot about how
PostNuke [2] went a different route than PHPNuke [1]. Then there were
some developers from PostNuke who went on their own to develop Xaraya
[3]. Xaraya is still in development mode with a release due in April (I
think). When I compared phpnuke and postnuke I leaned towards postnuke
for the way they were doing things. This has been over a year ago so I
can't remember specifics right now but I've begun to look again.

[1] http://www.phpnuke.org/
[2] http://www.postnuke.com/
[3] http://www.xaraya.com/

There are tons out there so I'd be interested in any other comments you
get :) My bet is that Xaraya when released will be a great one to go
with, but right now I'm not sure you want to be in the testing phase :)

HTH!
Lisa B.