[TriLUG] Win4Lin(was linuux mouse kvm problems)

al johson alfjon at mindspring.com
Mon Jan 13 01:01:35 EST 2003

Well, I bought mine at Intrex, where (unfortunately) they keep changing the
models they have in stock. The first ones I bought had no fans, and the
cases were all about $15-20 each (If I correctly recall the cost), but they
didn't have front vents and fans. The next set I purchased had vents on the
front, two fans (front and back) and a very secure locking lever (to fix a
minor problem that some of the early models had---(they all have handles for
you to pull them out, but some models wouldn't allow the drive drawer to
properly seat itself after you pushed the handle down to secure the plug and
socket on the back of the cage).

The ones I have now work great, but unfortunately, Intrex has changed their
supplier yet again and so it's not possible to obtain the model I like the
best. That's not to say that the latest models won't work (I really don't
know if they work well or not). One piece of advice. If you do go this
route, I strongly suggest that you get at least three drive drawers (or
maybe four if you like having each OS backed up). In other words, you can't
count on Intrex keeping the same model you bought. In fact, everytime I go
in there, it seems they've gone to another different manufacturer. Another
esp. cheap place to purchase these drive boxes can be at Amateur Radio
hamfests, where the prices are sometimes very cheap (sometimes $5-10). (The
next fest will be in Raleigh at the fairgrounds in April). But you should
definitely be able to buy all the drawers and boxes you need locally at
either Intrex or Stay Online for around $75 (more or even less!!). But in
this economy, who knows what will happen to prices in the future!! ---Al
Johnson.