[TriLUG] installing RH via the network

Kevin Sonney alchemist at darkcanvas.com
Thu Jan 16 07:34:38 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 07:17:05AM -0500, gregbrown spoke thusly:
> Is there a process or proceedure which someone has written up on how to take
> the install CDs, place them on a server, then install to a machine over the
> network?  I figure someone must have done this before.  I tried this once a
> long time ago and it didn't work.

What I usually do is this :

mkdir /path/to/install/tree
mount /mnt/cdrom
cd /path/to/install/tree
cp -rv /mnt/cdrom/* .
umount /mnt/cdrom
(repeat mount/copy/unmount cycle for each CD)
$EDITOR /etc/exports
(add /path/to/install/tree as an NFS export)
exportfs -va

Now I've got an NFS export on machine:/path/to/install/tree I can use
as the soure for packages @ install time. (assuming you're running
nfsd on that box. You can also use the same targets for http or ftp if
you're running a web server or ftpd on that box...you get the idea)

You can also mount the ISO images (if you ahve them) on loop and
symlink things together - check for Jeremy Katz's message on the
subject in the list archives. (about 2001-ish? Where's that search
engine?)

HTH...

--
--         Kevin Sonney         --