[TriLUG] installing RH via the network

Jerry M. Howell II jmhowell at jmhowell.com
Thu Jan 16 07:43:09 EST 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 07:17:05AM -0500, gregbrown at mindspring.com wrote:
> Hey all.  My new (old, really) laptop which I want to install RH on had a dead
> CDROM.  So I've got to install via the network.  Luckily it has a floppy drive
> which does work so I can boot from there.  I'd like to do the install locally
> on my network instead of over the Internet.
>
> Is there a process or proceedure which someone has written up on how to take
> the install CDs, place them on a server, then install to a machine over the
> network?  I figure someone must have done this before.  I tried this once a
> long time ago and it didn't work.
>
> Any suggestions would be very helpful.

I cannot remember an exact url but I found something along those lines
on the redhat site. I think i was searching for remote install and if I
remember it should be a simple floppy hack. Of course I did it a little
different with a null modem and changed the floppy to boot the console
over ttyS0. I'm sure though I saw what your looking for on the redhat
site
--
Jerry M. Howell II