[TriLUG] Making Solaris "feel" like Linux?

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Fri Jan 17 14:45:39 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-01-17 at 10:37, Geoff Purdy wrote:
> I've been working almost exclusively with Linux at home and
> at work for the past two years.  I recently changed jobs and
> my new employer is a Solaris shop.  Since I've grown
> comfortable with Linux, I'm wondering what I can do to give
> Solaris a similar feel.
>
> I don't have root on any of the unix systems at work so I'm
> limited in the software I can install (i.e.  I can't install
> XFree86 or GNU ls).

You *can* install GNU utils such as fileutils, which includes ls.  I do
on a Solaris account I have access to since I love the GNU color
options, and the "-i" options to mv, rm, and cp.  Just download the
source from any GNU mirror and use "./configure --prefix=$HOME" .  Then
modify your path so that ~/bin is checked before the system binary
directories.

You're only limited by your quota in how many apps you install this
way!  :-)

--Jeremy