[TriLUG] Re: Linux on Dell Laptops

David A. Cafaro dac at cafaro.net
Sat Jan 18 11:06:31 EST 2003

Hmm depending on which internal modem you have you might try this:

http://linmodems.technion.ac.il/pctel-linux/

This is the PCTEL winmodem driver for the PCtel modems that are
installed in some of the Dell Laptops (like the c610 I have).  I haven't
tried it yet, but I found reports of it working on my system with the
newest kernels.  If you have the 3COM modem then you are probably out of
luck.

As far as the sound no one I have talked to has gotten that to work.
The only time I ever got it to work, was when I was running a dual boot
Win2k and Linux.  If I had it working in Win2k then just rebooted
without undocking and went straight into linux the port would work.  But
since I went all linux, that's not going to happen anymore.

-David