[TriLUG] OT: KVM woes

Ken Mink kmtrilug at nc.rr.com
Tue Jan 21 11:12:52 EST 2003

Hi Everyone,
  I have a IOGear 8 Port MiniView KVM switch at home. It was a parting
gift from the last dot-com I was with. I have two linux boxen, a win2k
machine and a OSX machine connected to it. My problem is the OSX
machine. The KVM is PS2/PS2/VGA and the B&W Mac wants a USB keyboard and
mouse. I did some googling (it's funny how Google has turned into a
verb) and found the Y-Mouse adapter from P.I. Engineering. This is a
slick little device. It takes in a PS2 keyboard and a PS2 mouse and
converts them to USB HID devices. However it's got firmware that lets
you remap the ALT, and Windows keys so that they are in the order they
are on a Mac keyboard. It also can remap <Scroll Lock> to be the power
button on a Mac keyboard. It works great, except when it is being fed by
the KVM.

  I contacted the Y-Mouse tech support people and their response was
they've heard of people having success with my setup using Belkin KVMs.
I guess I'm in the market for a Belkin KVM.

  I am willing to trade/sell the IOGear 8port for a 4port Belkin. I also
have a BlackBox 8port KVM that I am willing to trade/sell. Both come
with cables for a number of the ports and power supplies. The BlackBox
is 19inch rackmount version. Anyone?

Ken