[TriLUG] Making Solaris "feel" like Linux?

Roy Vestal rvestal at trilug.org
Sun Jan 26 15:30:03 EST 2003

Since I'm in the same boat, I'll see what I can help you with.

Bash is not part of the default install for Solaris until Solaris 2.8. If
your systems are not running 2.8, then it's  probably NOT installed on
your machines. To verify you can try /bin/bash. If not,  you can download
bash 2.03 and 2.05 for Solaris from http://www.sunfreeware.com . With that
said, you described that you are not root.

If you have /bin/csh (c shell), you can do a few things to make the
command line feel a little like bash. You can map your keystrokes to give
the feel of bash. You can map <ESC>+k to the up arrow. This will make the
up arrow show the history. You can map <ESC>+j to the down arrow so you
can go down through the history. <ESC>+h maps to the left arrow and<ESC>+l
is he right arrow.  <CTRL>+h can be mapped to the backspace key.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how to map the tab key, but you can use the *
in the path to cd. For example, cd /usr/loc*/bin to cd to /usr/local/bin.

HTH,
Roy

On Fri, 17 Jan 2003, Geoff Purdy wrote:

> I've been working almost exclusively with Linux at home and
> at work for the past two years.  I recently changed jobs and
> my new employer is a Solaris shop.  Since I've grown
> comfortable with Linux, I'm wondering what I can do to give
> Solaris a similar feel.
>
> I don't have root on any of the unix systems at work so I'm
> limited in the software I can install (i.e.  I can't install
> XFree86 or GNU ls).
>
> An obvious first step was to switch my shell to bash.
> Anyone care to share other tips?  Thanks.

> TriLUG Organizational FAQ:

Roy Vestal
rvestal at trilug.org
http://www.trilug.org/~rvestal