[TriLUG] free (or very cheap) nonprofit web hosting?

Mike M linux-support at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 28 12:33:09 EST 2003

On Tuesday 28 January 2003 11:09, Chris Merrill wrote:
> Mike M wrote:
> > I was wondering about low cost hosting as well.  I am fearful of using my
> > own LAN as a public site.  I don't have enough security experience to do
> > that.
>
> I have very little security experience...for that matter I'm pretty
> inexperienced with Linux, as well.  But thanks primarily to the help
> I've received from this group, I've been running a Linux web/mail
> server/firewall at home for about 2 years now.  AFAIK, there have not
> been any break-ins to my machine in that time.  I check the logs
> occasionally, and have never found anything suspicious, no rogue
> processes, no e-mail originating from the server that was not expected.
>
> There's only one way to get the experience...just do it!

That is good to hear.  How do you test your website?  Log into your TriLUG
shell account and use lynx?

I worry about things like an Apache exploit or a PHP exploit where someone
can break into the host and then wander around the rest of the system from
the compromised host.  I'd have to strengthen the security throughout my
network - probably not a bad idea.  But what about those two M$ machines -
are they impervious to attack if they have no servers or email clients (I use
Kmail and my wife uses a Yahoo account)?
--
Mike M.