[TriLUG] Red Hat's new errata support policy of "consumer" OSes

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Tue Jan 28 15:33:54 EST 2003

On Tuesday, January 28, 2003, at 01:22 PM, Mike Broome wrote:

> Here's an interesting article from The Register with commentary on Red
> Hat's new position of supporting "consumer" OS releases for only 12
> months.

Without going into detail, it has definitely gotten my attention (RH
enterprise entitlement customer).  I definitely plan on bringing it up
with my account manager.

I'm personally not happy with the idea that we're forced into using
RHAS if we don't want to have to do a major upgrade every year.  If I'm
reading this policy correctly, it would preclude me from deploying Red
Hat on desktops due to the rapid life cycle of their consumer releases
(and I'm not going to pay the $$$ for RHAS on the desktop).

No, I don't expect RH to support their products forever, but for
enterprise entitlement customers a few years wouldn't hurt.

Chris Hedemark .. Prospect Park, PA .. http://yonderway.com
Homeland Security begins at home; support your Second Amendment.