[TriLUG] telocity->directvdsl->bellsouth

Rob Huffstedtler rob at bagpipe.com
Wed Jan 29 14:01:53 EST 2003

On Wed, Jan 29, 2003 at 12:24:52PM -0500, Mark Kempster wrote:
> > I must be the only one who went to Bellsouth.
>
> Not the only one. And not the only one with misgivings...
>

> > The Westell modem from bell south lets you configure
> > NAT and port forwarding.
>
> For what it's worth, I went through somme minor hair-pulling getting
> my linksys router/wireless gizmo to work correctly with the westell.
>
> With the old telocity one, it was just plug & surf. Silly me, thinking
> I could swap modems! With the westell, google told me to choose between
>
>     (1) set the modem to do pass through (can't remember the real term)
>         and do pppoe on the linksys
>     (2) change the internal IP addresses of the linksys (and the internal
>         network) off of 192.168.1.x
>
> Something about the westell being 192.168.1.254 and the linksys not
> liking 192.168.1.x on both the LAN and WAN side of things. I ended up
> going with option 1, but would love to hear of other options I missed.
>
> I find myself poking the reset buttons on both the modem and linksys
> far more often than with telocity.

Pretty much the same situation obtains with Earthlink and the Broadmax
modems.  Right now I have PPPoE on the modem, and I disabled PPPoE on
the router, and all is good.  However, I expect that means  am
double-NATted, which could potentially cause problems with P2P, gaming,
maybe IBM's VPN software, etc.  If it turns out that it does I'll be
following in your footsteps.

Earthlink uses a 172.x.x.x address, so at least I don't have the other
problem you mentioned.