[TriLUG] Device Drivers

Jeremy Portzer jeremyp at pobox.com
Thu Jan 30 09:05:40 EST 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-30 at 01:54, Bryan Burroughs wrote:
> Jon,
>     K, i didn't wanna look like I was peddling for drivers, yikes!
>  Specifically, I'm looking for Cordless Optical MouseMan Wheel drivers,
> which is essentially the same as the corded version.  I don't care about
> battery life info, since I now have rechargables.  RH claims to support
> a 3-buttoned USB wheelmouse made by Logitech, but that is 1) on the USB
> port, and my KVM necessitates a PS2, and 2) this baby is 4-buttoned,
> technically.  Again, thx for the help to all.
>     Bryan Burroughs

Hi Bryan,

Which version of Red Hat Linux are you using?
I have the corded version of the Optical Mouseman Wheel mouse, and it
works great.  All you have to do is select it from the list when setting
up RH Linux, or run the "mouseconfig" tool if you need to change it.
You can also run the "redhat-config-xfree86" tool to update your X
Windows configuration.

Drivers in Linux work considerably different from Windows; you don't
normally go searching for and downloading them, since they're either
part of the kernel or part of XFree86.  I can almost guarantee that you
have the right driver on your system already, it's just a case of
enabling it.

--Jeremy