[TriLUG] BIND and redhat-config-bind questions

Ryan Leathers Ryan.Leathers at globalknowledge.com
Fri Jan 31 15:14:07 EST 2003

I am looking for a way to let my VI impaired co-workers easily modify
DNS records.
For the most part they only need to add and remove individual host
records.
It looks to me like the gui Redhat-config-bind tool might be the ticket.

Questions:
For those of you who use this tool regularly - any gotchas ?
I assume you don't have to stop and start the named service every time
you make a change with this tool
Do you need to use this tool exclusively ?  I read a doc that warned not
to edit named.conf by hand when using Redhat-bind-tool.
With a running BIND can you simply install the tool rpm and start using
it or do you need to rebuild your zones using the tool ?

Thanks,

Ryan